Try this super easy Japanese miso soup at home. As the daily elixir of the Japanese diet, homemade miso soup is not only delicious, it also brings many great health benefits. Paired with radish, spring onion and spinach, this wholesome soup makes for the perfect winter meal.
- 4 tbsp Red Miso Paste
- One spring onion, chopped
- 1-2 Radish bulbs, thinly sliced
- ½ cup spinach torn
- 1 tsp Dashi (fish stock)
- A wedge of lemon
- 1 White onion julienned
- In a medium saucepan, on medium-high heat, add onions cook for 30 seconds and immediately add two cups of boiling water.
- Add sliced radish.
- While it boils, add the red miso paste in a deep spatula and stir slowly with a chopstick to make a concentrate paste in the boiling water to avoid lumps. Do not add miso and try to stir it in the pot as you will have lumps in your soup.
- Add dashi to the soup. Cook on gentle simmer for 5 minutes
- Add spinach leaves and allow to wilt. Once wilted serve soup.
- Garnish with spring onions and a lemon wedge & serve hot.