Craving breakfast for dinner? We've got the perfect fix for you! Try this juicy, meaty portobello patty melt - a great, vegetarian alternative to regular beef patty melts.
Recipe adapted from NYT Cooking by the amazing Diya Puri.
- 4 clean portobello caps
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 slices of sourdough sandwich loaf
- 8 slices of cheese of your choice, we recommend a mix of montasio & cheddar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Minced garlic cloves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Coat portobello caps with a mixture of minced garlic, olive oil, soya sauce and balsamic vinegar. Roast for 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven
- While the mushrooms are cooking, caramelize the onions. Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet set over high heat. When it foams, add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Stir frequently over high heat for 5 minutes or so, or until the onions have released some liquid and started to become translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until the onions are fully melted and dark golden brown, approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Remove onions, and set them and the skillet aside.
- Slice your cheese! We used both Montasio and Cheddar
- To assemble, in a clean skillet foam butter and slide in the sourdough slices. On each slice, add cheese, haved portobello caps and the caramelised onions
- Cook until caramelised, crunchy and GOOEY!