Simple, convenient and tasty, this Sambar Rice is like a hug in a bowl. Tastes even better on rainy, gloomy days with a glass of chilled buttermilk or a bowl of hung curd/ yogurt.
- Any kind of rice/millet (1 cup)
- Veggies of your choice (2-3) like gourds, carrots and beans
- 2 tomatoes
- Toor dal (half cup)
- Chana dal (quarter cup)
- Sambar powder (2 tablespoons)
- Tamarind (1 teaspoon)
- Jhakiya (used in this recipe, can use normal mustard too),
- Curry leaves and urad dal for the tempering of the rice
- In a cooker, add oil and all the ingredients for the tempering.
- Once the oil starts giving out the fragrance of curry leaves, put the tomatoes in, let them become soft.
- Introduce the rest of the vegetables. Add salt to help them cook.
- Add Sambar powder and the tamarind and let it mix in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the washed rice and dals with 3 cups water.
- Let it cook for about 20-25 mins before serving it with curd! (It needs to be a watery consistency)